Preparation time: 40 minutes
Cooking time: 60 minutes
Ingredients (for 6) :
- 2kg leg of lamb
- 75g butter
- 3 garlic cloves
- 4 onions
- 4 carrots
- 1.5kg potatoes
- bacon strips
- thyme, bay leaves
- 50cl stock
- salt, freshly ground pepper
- Stud the leg of lamb with garlic using the prongs of a fork, then roll the meat in salt and pepper.
- Sauté on all sides in a buttered pan until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, peel and chop the onions, carrots and potatoes.
- Line the bottom of a roasting dish with bacon strips and cover with seasoned vegetables.
- Place the leg of lamb covered with the bacon strips in the dish and pour on the stock.
- Add the bouquet garni for flavour and put the roasting dish in a pre-heated oven.
- Cook for 1½ hours, then leave to cool in the switched-off oven with the door slightly open before carving.
- Deglaze the roasting dish and serve this sauce in a gravy boat and the leg of lamb on a platter surrounded by the vegetables.